Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Honi soit qui mal y pense 2

I just came across [NO, YOU SICK FUCKS, NO!] an eBay auction for a book of poems by Henry Vaughan, a 17th-century metaphysical poet chiefly known for his religious poetry. The title is really splendid:

The Sacred Poems
and
Private Ejaculations
of
Henry Vaughan
.

Well, now we know what he was up to in the privacy of his own home...

By the way, this reminds me of that fine limerick:

There was the old vicar of Lundy
Fell asleep in his vestry on Sunday
      He woke with a scream:
      “What, another wet dream?
This comes of not frigging since Monday!”

Well, as Confucious say, “man who go to bed with sex problem, wake up with solution in hand”...

1 Comments:

Blogger ill-advised said...

Not really --- I was just barely aware of his existence. Now that I looked at the Wikipedia article about him, I see that I have already heard of two of his books: The Right Stuff and The Bonfire of the Vanities. I haven't read either of them, though I once saw a movie based on The Right Stuff. In fact I have a vague intention to eventually read The Right Stuff, but I didn't have any firm plans to read any of his fiction --- I'm usually not too fond of fiction that takes place in the present-day world. But if there's any Wolfe book that you particularly recommend to me, I might consider reading it [although I can't promise anything definite as I keep on buying much more books than I have the time to read, so the to-read queue just grows longer and longer, and there's no saying when a particular book's turn will come... :-)].

Friday, September 02, 2005 10:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home